|Experience and Training||
Ivan Futrell and request an update about the following courses in your
Experience and Training
Retired August 3, 1997 after 37 years with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Laboratory Division, Latent Fingerprint Section, Washington, DC 20535
Fingerprint Technology Consultant and Instructor.
• Taught forensic courses in the development, preservation, evaluation, comparison and identification of latent prints; classification of fingerprints; preparation of court exhibits; and presentation of expert testimony in judiciary proceedings. Lectured on fingerprint matters throughout the United States and Slovakia.Member of the parent body of the International Association for Identification (IAI) and a Life active member of the Chesapeake Bay Division of the International Association for Identification. Fellow of The Fingerprint Society.
April 1996 - August 1997
Served as Assistant Unit Chief of the Latent Fingerprint Section.
• Supervised the management of the Latent Print Photographic Unit and the Latent Case Management Center, which support the forensic examinations conducted in the Latent Fingerprint Section.
• Served as full assistant to the top technical supervisor sharing in and assisting in all phases of work in the Section. Participated in the final technical review of completed assignments and shared in making final decisions on technical questions involving expert forensic examinations.
Supervised and was responsible for the work product of 7-10 Latent Fingerprint Specialists in the day-to-day handling of latent print cases. This included:
• The processing of crime scene evidentiary materials by chemical, laser and alternative light sources or physical means for the development of latent prints.
Assigned to the FBI Academy, Quantico, Virginia as an Instructor of Fingerprint Identification.
• Responsible for coordinating training program schedules, maintaining liaison with other academic units of the Academy, other Divisions of the FBI, Federal, State and Local agencies and guest instructors from the private sector.
After receiving extensive classroom and on-the-job training in handling latent print cases, was certified as a Latent Print Specialist by the FBI.
• Conducted latent print examinations in such crimes as homicide, bank robbery, extortion, kidnapping and numerous other cases submitted to the Latent Fingerprint Section.
Received training for approximately six months
classification, filing and
• Classified inked fingerprints, searched and compared them with inked file cards in an effort to effect positive identifications.
Certified by the FBI as a Fingerprint Specialist (Latent Print
E-mail Ivan Futrell
Telephone: (540) 659-6450
Fax: (540) 657-1619
The Federal Bureau Investigation endorses no private experts. Contents of these pages do NOT purport to represent any endorsement, opinion or statements by the FBI, United States Department of Justice, or any other agency or organization. Ivan R. Futrell's certification by the FBI as a Fingerprint Specialist (Latent Print Examiner) ceased to exist upon his retirement from the Bureau.
Return to Top of Page